Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Recent thoughts

So, I've been thinking a lot recently about the fun and games of labour and delivery. Obviously, I'm getting closer to it now, but it's also been on my mind for a long time because of how long and often I've been getting contractions. They are just getting stronger and more and more frequent, and it just makes me a little nervous since I never had any when I was pregnant with Avery. In fact, last night as I was dealing with the pain I was thinking about when I did go into labour with Avery, and the only reason I knew was because my water broke at 3 o'clock in the morning, and it was only after that that I started noticing contractions. Anyway, the reason I keep on getting a little concerned is because once we did go to the hospital and they confirmed that my water had indeed broken, and they hooked my up to all the machines and monitors and stuff, after a while it got to the point where my contractions were about a minute long and about 5 minutes a part, and the nurse commented that this would be the point where I would normally be arriving at the hospital if my water hadn't broken. Here's the thing though - although I won't try to say that those contractions I was having weren't uncomfortable, they never really hurt even though I was in the early stages of true labour, whereas this time I get painful contractions every day, and my obgyn says it's just braxton hicks, so how will I really know when I'm really in labour?? I don't know...! I just don't want to be thinking it's just braxton hicks when it's actually the real deal, especially if it's still too early for this little boy to arrive. I feel like such a first-timer! But even worse than that, I'm like a first-timer with the added joy of wanting to do the whole VBAC thing.
Anyway, this sort of makes it sound like I'm freaking out about the whole thing, when really I'm not, I just worry about it every now and then when my contractions are particularly persistant! I just don't want to go through the whole NICU experience again, so would like for this baby boy to be born at the right time, so I'll feel much better once I've passed the 36 week mark, which will be in a couple of weeks. Other than that I'm feeling quite ready for him to arrive! We have clothes and diapers and bassinet and crib, and we're pretty much ready for this little boy I think! I can't wait! There are still a couple of things I need to get of course, the biggest of which is a new breast pump, so I should really get on that. I'm looking forward to trying the breast-feeding thing from day one instead of having to pump for a couple of weeks and then having to learn how to breast-feed with a baby who'd been bottle-fed for the first two weeks of her life!! Not that that wasn't fun of course....!
I think I'll go take a nap now before Avery wakes up :)

1 comment:

Syme Family News said...

I can't tell you how excited I am for you. I remember feeling just the same way when I had no contractions with Alexa, and then I didn't know when I would know the difference because they started so early. Then we had a change of plans. We sure love you guys and if you need ANYTHING, let us know.
Janeen