Tuesday, September 08, 2009

First day of School


My little girl is at school - the first day of her second year of preschool!! We met her teacher last week, and she seemed nice, although I am going to miss her teacher from last year as well.
Avery's bus was scheduled to pick her up outside our house at 11:34 this morning, so we went out a few minutes early so that I could take a few pictures of her. I don't know why I thought I needed to do this early because of course the bus was late, what with it being the first day of school and everything! But it was ridiculously late - after several phone calls and 40 minutes of waiting, I finally packed my children into the van to take her to school and then passed the bus coming our way a block from our house, so turned around and went home again to load her onto the bus!!! Hopefully tomorrow will be better, and hopefully by next week they'll have it all figured out and be able to get my daughter to school before 12:20. Especially since school is supposed to start at 11:45!!
She has been excited about school, but I am also a little worried about her because while she has regained pretty all of the progress she lost during her hospital stay in June, she still hasn't regained all her energy. She's been tired almost all the time. Yesterday I took her and Brogan to the mall so that she could do some good walking with her cane, and she started saying she was too tired before we'd even managed to get out of the parking lot. I had to keep on reminding her that we'd only gone to the mall on the condition that she walked, and that if she didn't want to walk then we would go home and not go to the play area. So we finally made it to the play area, and she and Brogan had a super fun time playing there, but by the time we got home she was exhausted. After walking a total of maybe 3 or 4 hundred feet, and crawling around the play area for about 25 minutes. I mean, all she did for the rest of the afternoon was lie on the couch and watch a movie, except for 3 or 4 times when she got up so that she could come and tell me that she was too tired. So I don't know how she's going to cope with school if that continues....
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I love the center photo of her sitting up in the tree. She is such a pretty girl.

I hope her endurance builds up well for her soon. It doesn't seem right for a kid to not have more than their share of energy to unload. It's miserable being that tired.

Valerie said...

Darling - it's late but I just have to say how utterly gorgeous these pictures are - not only the pictures but the way you've put them together. I shall be most interested to see how she was when she returned from school. She looks so pretty and Brogan - with his supreme lack of awareness of what's going on it the world - is too, too perfect for words. I haven't see Avery's cane before, does she use it on both sides of her body at different times or is she very left preference as always?
I wish I could write more but wanted to thank you for the photos - please, please, please put them on the family site.
Love you,
Mother

Sarah said...

Love the photos!

I am dreading Violet starting in early 2010 for preschool, but know it will be good for her.