Friday, November 20, 2009

Owen and Avery

Yesterday Avery and I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting Owen and his mom Michelle!
Michelle created and runs this wonderful website. I had visited her website and read a lot about Owen, and Michelle had read some of my blog too, but it wasn't until a few months ago that we realised that we lived in the same area! Then yesterday Avery had a morning appointment with her physiatrist in Christiansburg, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to get together and introduce our little ones to each other in person!
On the drive down to the doctor's office Avery and I were talking about Owen, and she got quite excited about meeting him! She had a bit of a headache before we left the house, and she was telling me that her shunt hurt (which is what she says sometimes when her head hurts, and I hate it because it always gets me nervous!!!), and I told her that we were going to meet another little boy with a shunt just like hers! She got quite excited about that, and wanted to know if his shunt was going to be gray like hers...!! (This morning I was asking Gabe if he told her it was gray, because I think it's actually white, and Gabe says that she probably thinks it's gray because it looks sort of gray in the picture she's seen.)
Avery thought Owen was super cute! A few minutes after we arrived, we left for just a moment to get some hot chocolate and a snack, and Avery couldn't wait to get back to "Baby Owen"!! She kept on talking about how cute he was :) And she was right - Owen is adorable! He just makes you fall in love with him the minute you see him :)


Although it might look like Owen's got his hand in Avery's mouth here, that's not the case! He's doing a happy dance :) I think he liked Avery too :)

Another thing they had in common besides their hydrocephalus was their fascination with the giant Christmas tree at the mall!
Posted by Picasa

For me, it was just as wonderful to meet Michelle as it was to meet sweet Owen! While Avery and Owen have had different experiences with their hydrocephalus, and both have different additional diagnoses, there is something comforting being with someone who can completely understand and relate to the joys and challenges of raising a disabled child. Both these amazing children began fighting before birth with congenital hydrocephalus, and while they have experienced different setbacks and challenges since coming into this world, they have both come so far and acheived so much.
It was a joy to meet Michelle and Owen. It was exciting for me to meet Owen especially at this time when he's at the beginning of a period of developmental leaps and bounds, and I can't wait to see what he's doing next time we see him! He had surgery just over two weeks ago to reduce the size of his skull, and they started seeing vast improvements in his physical development even from the first day after the surgery! I'm excited about this, and I've only just met him, so I can only imagine how proud and excited his parents must be!!!
Please, if you haven't already visited FetalHydrocephalus.com, take a moment to stop by and read about Owen. He really is one amazing little boy!

8 comments:

Hans said...

I enjoyed seeing Avery with Owen in all those pictures. Those are some great pictures. Hopefully Owen has a set for himself to look at. I love you all. And thank you for being such good parents. Grandpa Daddy

Sarah said...

Sounds like you had a great time together as did Owen and Avery!

It is so nice to meet with other parents who really "get it".

Lisa said...

How fun! The Higgins are some of my favorite people in the whole entire world. And that's not an exaggeration. They changed my life and Owen continues to inspire me.

Avery and Owen sure do make a cute pair :)

Valerie said...

What perfectly lovely photographs. I spoke to Avery about this visit and she tells me that she and (as she calls him) "Baby Owen," drank hot chocolate and ate chocolate brownies. It seems a perfect day was had by all. I'm so glad you have met up with Michelle, Josephine, her website is super and well worth a look.

Tony said...

A wonderful meeting from which much benefit was gathered by all I'm sure

Marie G said...

Lovely photos and Avery is just a gorgeous little girl.

Michelle said...

I read this post the day you did it and then realized tonight that I never did comment, which seemed rude :-) It was a great visit and we are looking forward to many more.

And thanks to all the people who commented with kind words about my website - it's definitely a labor of love!

Pam said...

Thank you for the photos. Owen looks a really lovely little boy. I do hope he progresses like Avery is. She is such a beautiful little girl. You too are a very special Mum
GRannyx
Keep smiling