Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye 2009




Avery's milestones and highlights in 2009:
  • In August Avery got her first quad cane, and can now walk independently with it on a smooth, familiar surface.
  • Since moving into our new home in June Avery has mastered the skill of standing on a footstool at the sink to wash her hands and brush her teeth.
  • She no longer needs any help brushing her teeth, and stopped swallowing the toothpaste in about June :)
  • Since January Avery has been wearing underwear to bed every night, and she hasn't had an accident since the first week.
  • In April or May Avery started being able to go from kneeling to standing without using any props. Most of the time :)
  • By the beginning of June, Avery was able to stand and balance entirely independently for up to 7 minutes.
  • Also by the beginning of June Avery was able to take up to 8 or 9 completely independent steps!!!
  • Then she had shunt problems and was in the hospital for two weeks, and while she has gained back most of the progress she had made, she still cannot stand independently for more than a minute, and she can't take more than 1 or 2 steps.
  • That being said, she has made huge advances with her quad cane. 2 days ago we went to Walmart, and she walked around the whole store holding the cane in her left hand and the side of the shopping cart in her right hand for probably almost 45 minutes!
  • In June or July Avery started drawing rudimentary faces.
  • Since October Avery has been able to write her own name with absolutely no help. Sometimes it's backwards, and sometimes the E has about 8 prongs, but it's always recognisible :)
  • In addition to heads, eyes, nose and mouth, Avery's drawn people now often have hair, arms, legs, feet, toes, bodies, ears, and sometimes even tongues, cheeks and chins!
  • Yesterday she drew a picture of a cat and then wrote "CAT" with no help, not even with spelling. She can also spell and write "MOM" all by herself.

Brogan's transition from babyhood to toddlerhood:
  • Brogan got his first tooth at the end of April, the exact same age as Avery was when she got her first tooth.
  • Brogan is the slowest teether I have ever known - he's been working on his first molar since August, and it now has 2 spikes out. He has 8 teeth, 4 half teeth (partially exposed molars) and 2 quarter teeth (swollen red gums where his "eye" teeth will come in)!
  • Brogan's been a strong independent sitter since February
  • He's been crawling since the beginning of May.
  • He figured out how to crawl up stairs the day we moved into our new home in May!
  • He started consistently pulling up to stand in June (mostly in bed when he should have been sleeping....)
  • He took his first independent steps a week before his first birthday. 5 or 6 of them. And then he stood up and took 5 or 6 more steps!
  • He has preferred walking to crawling since September.
  • He started jumping some time in November.
  • This week he let me hold his hand while we were walking for the first time!
  • Brogan has yet to experience any kind of separation anxiety! He loves people! The more the merrier, and who cares whether either one of his parents are there as long as there are some boys to play with! Unless of course he's tired :)
  • Brogan has been waving bye bye for a few months, but he's been doing it consistently, and with the same sound "Bah" for about a month or so.
  • He also says "Muh" while waving his cup for "More juice please"
  • Other than that he speaks his own special language. I don't think he realises that no one can understand him :)
  • He's been blowing kisses for about a month.

There are many more things that I should really add to these lists, but it is now past midnight and officially 2010!!
Happy New Year!

20 comments:

Sarah said...

Great post!

Happy New Year to you and your family. xx

Marie G said...

It really is wonderful to be able to follow the progress of these two delightful children. We will 'know' them when you visit later this year. Can't wait!!! Happy New Year to you and everyone of the family who read this message.

Eveymartine said...

It's lovely to see their progress and how they have changed. I love Avery's hair now and the picture of Brogan standing in the snow is just too cute!
Happy New Year to all!
xxx

Valerie said...

What a beautiful idea - Josephine, you are so filled with clever ideas. I wish I'd done this as a mother but I can at least follow along as a very proud Grandma. I love the differences between your two children, Avery will always fight and be so determined to reach goals whereas Brogan will just toddle along and wait for whatever comes next. I love them both soooo much and, of course, their delightful parents.
I have started the year as I would love, however impractically, to carry on; listening to Radio 3's New Year's Day concert and reading a wonderful book (in this case Huntford's life of Nansen.)

Michelle said...

Oh, that's a wonderful way to look back at the year! You have two wonderful children and it's great to celebrate how far they have come in the last 12 months. Happy New Year!

Tony F said...

A really wonderful idea and easy for all of us to follow the progress of your lovely family.

I too did not do this as a young parent, but we didn't have computers anyway!

Maureen said...

You are amazing, I love keeping up with your little family.How do you find the time? Happy 2010

Josephine said...

My children go to bed at 7pm :)

Tony F said...

... and you're not tempted by Eastenders, Corrie or Emmerdale?

Emma B said...

A mother after my own heart - mine are in bed for 6.30pm, or 6pm if it's been a hard day (for me)! Evenings are for grown-ups, not for little people.

Gabbie has been desperate for an alarm clock, less, I think, to get her up in the morning and more to highlight the injustice of having to go to bed at such an hour. I am just waiting to be told that she's the only one in her class that has to go to bed so early, so that I can point out that she's also the only one in her class who's the size of a 10 year old, with lovely long golden hair and bags of energy. Plus, I can always trot out the old "if all your friends jumped off a cliff..." yada yada yada, or the always trustworthy, "I don't care what x's parents let them do/say/eat/wear/fill in the appropriate blank".

Just when did I become my mother?

Josephine said...

I just find that everyone is happier with an early bed time. They both still need 12 hours of sleep at night. Brogan sometimes doesn't, oddly enough. Once every few weeks he goes to bed and sleeps for 3 or 4 hours, and then stays awake for almost the entire night. Not upset or anything, just not tired. And then the next day he just goes down for his nap at the normal time, sleeps for the same amount of time, and it's as if nothing ever happened! It's weird...! Avery has always needed a good sleeping schedule, although I have to admit that I am enjoying the fact that she's more flexible now that she's a little older and can cope with the occasional later night with no problems.
And of course it means that Gabe and I still get evenings together, which is nice!

Marie G said...

I have always thought that evenings were for parents! Gets a little difficult when the children become teenagers, have, Youth, Seminary, Firesides, Institute... etc. etc. etc!

Evey F said...

Hooray for early nights. My children never knew what time it was especially in the winter. They came home from school, watched playschool while I prepared tea, bathed and in bed sometimes just before 5! That was when they were all very little. Evenings are for grownups.

I too wish I'd done a similar thing to blogs, I did keep a journal but not so well.

Lisa said...

I got a chuckle when you mentioned how Avery writes her E's with lots of prongs....that's what Lorelai does too!

Maureen said...

It creeps up on us when we're not looking! Although to be likened to my mother would be a great compliment. (please tell me I didn't lick my hankie and use to clean my childrens mouths!!??)

Alex said...

Such cute, cute kids. Sorry we missed the New Year's Day Walk. Jonathan was working and I wasn't up to both kids on my own. Glad you had fun!

SuzanSayz said...

I loved reading all of these accomplishments. Way to grow up Avery and Brogan. Motherhood is it's own reward in just about every way.
Sending Peace, Love and Happiness to you and your dear family.
Happy 2010 to all of you!!!

p.s. I look forward to watching and reading a years worth of learning and doing by Avery and Brogan!

Marie G said...

I have always thought that evenings were for parents! Gets a little difficult when the children become teenagers, have, Youth, Seminary, Firesides, Institute... etc. etc. etc!

Evey F said...

Hooray for early nights. My children never knew what time it was especially in the winter. They came home from school, watched playschool while I prepared tea, bathed and in bed sometimes just before 5! That was when they were all very little. Evenings are for grownups.

I too wish I'd done a similar thing to blogs, I did keep a journal but not so well.

Talitha said...

What a year, they are both doing so well :) And it's even nicer to hear now that I've met them :)