Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Knitivity

When I was growing up we had a nativity set which was made by my Grandma. I can't remember ever having a Christmas without it, and I always loved it!
Since we've been married we haven't really had a nativity set.
Well, when my cousins came over to visit in October they brought with them a bag full of wrapped Christmas presents from my Grandma, each one labelled with a date to be opened, the last one to be opened on Christmas Day.
Well, I had a feeling I might know what it was, and I was so excited!!!
So, for the 10 days leading up to Christmas we opened one present each morning, and it was exactly what I was hoping it would be!! On Christmas morning we opened the last present, which was a beautiful little baby Jesus in a manger, and our Nativity set was complete!



I can't tell you how excited I am to have this wonderfully nostalgic Nativity set! It brings back so many memories of the magic of my childhood Christmases, and I'm so happy that my children will grow up with the same set :)
My Grandma is amazing :) I don't know how many long hours she must have spent making this beautiful set, but I know that a few of my cousins also received their own sets this year! Thank you to my Grandma for giving us the perfect gift!
By the way, my cousin's little girl is the one who came up with "Knitivity" as they were opening their set - isn't that cute??
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Diana said...

Wow! That is a fabulous treasure. I have the pattern I bought last year to knit myself a set. But alas I have not started. I will though. This is so very special and extra special that your Grandma knit it!

Lisa said...

What a wonderful gift. It will surely be treasured for generations to come.

Marie G said...

Josephine, I am so happy that you have had the magic of your childhood memories restored. I thought it would be a good idea if at the end of the Christmas season you were to individually wrap each figure again and do the same each year?

SuzanSayz said...

How cool to have your own set. It's always great to add to your family's heirlooms.
Btw, I just read your last several posts and loved them all. I am so behind on my blogging due to all of the sewing I had left to the last minute. The new little car made me smile. We got one almost like that for Shawn and Courtney when they were very young. They bothe loved it but Courtney seemed to have the most time in it. It looks like your Christmas Eve was as much fun as your Christmas. It's always so much better to celebrate these times with friends and loved ones!

AdeleSews said...

I am so happy for you, a wonderful gift indeed. Your grandma is truly an inspiring lady, she has had a monumental effect on my life even though I suspect she doesn't know it. Knitivity a wonderful word :-)

David said...

very nice!

i know what gold is, but what are frankinsense and myrhr? i need to research those.