Avery's milestones and highlights in 2009:
- In August Avery got her first quad cane, and can now walk independently with it on a smooth, familiar surface.
- Since moving into our new home in June Avery has mastered the skill of standing on a footstool at the sink to wash her hands and brush her teeth.
- She no longer needs any help brushing her teeth, and stopped swallowing the toothpaste in about June :)
- Since January Avery has been wearing underwear to bed every night, and she hasn't had an accident since the first week.
- In April or May Avery started being able to go from kneeling to standing without using any props. Most of the time :)
- By the beginning of June, Avery was able to stand and balance entirely independently for up to 7 minutes.
- Also by the beginning of June Avery was able to take up to 8 or 9 completely independent steps!!!
- Then she had shunt problems and was in the hospital for two weeks, and while she has gained back most of the progress she had made, she still cannot stand independently for more than a minute, and she can't take more than 1 or 2 steps.
- That being said, she has made huge advances with her quad cane. 2 days ago we went to Walmart, and she walked around the whole store holding the cane in her left hand and the side of the shopping cart in her right hand for probably almost 45 minutes!
- In June or July Avery started drawing rudimentary faces.
- Since October Avery has been able to write her own name with absolutely no help. Sometimes it's backwards, and sometimes the E has about 8 prongs, but it's always recognisible :)
- In addition to heads, eyes, nose and mouth, Avery's drawn people now often have hair, arms, legs, feet, toes, bodies, ears, and sometimes even tongues, cheeks and chins!
- Yesterday she drew a picture of a cat and then wrote "CAT" with no help, not even with spelling. She can also spell and write "MOM" all by herself.
Brogan's transition from babyhood to toddlerhood:
- Brogan got his first tooth at the end of April, the exact same age as Avery was when she got her first tooth.
- Brogan is the slowest teether I have ever known - he's been working on his first molar since August, and it now has 2 spikes out. He has 8 teeth, 4 half teeth (partially exposed molars) and 2 quarter teeth (swollen red gums where his "eye" teeth will come in)!
- Brogan's been a strong independent sitter since February
- He's been crawling since the beginning of May.
- He figured out how to crawl up stairs the day we moved into our new home in May!
- He started consistently pulling up to stand in June (mostly in bed when he should have been sleeping....)
- He took his first independent steps a week before his first birthday. 5 or 6 of them. And then he stood up and took 5 or 6 more steps!
- He has preferred walking to crawling since September.
- He started jumping some time in November.
- This week he let me hold his hand while we were walking for the first time!
- Brogan has yet to experience any kind of separation anxiety! He loves people! The more the merrier, and who cares whether either one of his parents are there as long as there are some boys to play with! Unless of course he's tired :)
- Brogan has been waving bye bye for a few months, but he's been doing it consistently, and with the same sound "Bah" for about a month or so.
- He also says "Muh" while waving his cup for "More juice please"
- Other than that he speaks his own special language. I don't think he realises that no one can understand him :)
- He's been blowing kisses for about a month.
There are many more things that I should really add to these lists, but it is now past midnight and officially 2010!!
Happy New Year!