Friday, January 08, 2010

First new accomplishment of 2010

Well, we already have some pretty big news this year!
It might not seem like a big deal to some people...in fact, I know it won't seem like a big deal to most people, but it is exciting progress for us!
Avery has never been able to voluntarily move her toes. She has always seemed to be disconnected to them. We have worked on this in the past, trying to stimulate her by putting her feet into big bowls full of dry rice or beans, but she has never been able to move her toes, or her ankles for that matter. It was like her brain seemed to think that her ankles and feet were made of one big bone instead of 26, or whatever it is.
So when we went to PT on Monday, imagine how surprised we were when we pulled off her socks to try and pop bubbles with her toes, and she moved her big toe entirely independently!!
I got video of it when we went back to therapy this morning.

The idea here was to use her toes to paint pictures and stuff in the shaving cream! We have an appointment this afternoon to get fitted for new braces, and I'm sure they'll be wondering why her feet smell like men's shaving cream...
This is big news, because I think it means that she is finally starting to feel connected to her feet! I don't think she really has before. Of course, she could feel if you tickled her foot or something, but I think that as far as she's been concerned, they've always just sort of been "things", not really a real, movable part of her body. But now she is realising that she can do stuff with them! She can move them and control them! She is also getting better at pointing her feet straight in front of her when she takes steps if you give her verbal cues not to point her toes in.
So far, it is just her big toes, but this is great progress. She seems to find it a little easier to do with her left foot, but she can do it with both. And she can also move her ankles just a little bit to point her whole foot up a bit, although she can't then move her big toe. The higher she manages to point her foot up, the further down her toe points. But it is exciting to see that she is learning new things about her body, and learning new ways to make it do what she wants it to do!

24 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Josephine! This is NOT a small thing in any way. This is HUGE! Huge and so exciting! I know the feeling so well too. It's just how we feel around here whenever Elisabeth does something new. Especially when it's something they have worked and worked on and she had never before shown neither the interst or inclination to do it at all.
I am so happy for you and thrilled for Naomi. Do you have plans for a little celebration?

Eveymartine said...

Wow! That is so exciting. I am amazed by her and how she keeps pushing through all those barriers.
Well done her and well done you.
xxx

Marie G said...

Wonderful progress! I think this is a major event. Well done Avery and all you wonderful people who encourage her and help her so much.

Sarah said...

Well done Avery!!!

Diana said...

Amazing and very big news! Only big things to come!

Meriaten said...

I was really excited to see it in the video especially! How wonderful! Love it...

Paul Brogan said...

Well done, Avery, my little heroine!

Mary Bosen said...

Wonderful! How exciting to see progress! Keep it up, all of you!

Evey F said...

I'm so pleased, this is wonderful news. Thanks for sharing, give Avery a big Well Done from us.

Annie D said...

That is absolutely fantastic news! Great job, Avery! :)

Kelly A said...

This is wonderful news. I love reading your blog and learning all that Avery has accomplished.

Michelle said...

Oh, that is just soooo exciting! I giggling for you - this is a major leap in Avery's development! Yippeee!

Sarah said...

I have nominated your blog for a Lemonade Award. See Violet's blog for more detail

Valerie said...

I was actually sitting in front of my computer screen clapping - this is simply marvellous and, an added bonus, perhaps her feet won't get so cold anymore, there's nothing so effective for warming up feet than wiggling your toes. I love that little girl so very, very much and also, the unsung hero, Brogan who patiently goes from appointment to appointment and just fits in with whatever is going on. Huge claps and cheers for all the Andersens!!!!

Talitha said...

That is great news, well done Avery :)

Pam said...

Amazing. So well done for all your hard work and caring.
Granny

SuzanSayz said...

I just read my comment and am kind of embarrassed I called Avery, Naomi.
I do have a good reason. Right before coming to visit you I had been at my friend Jenny's blog. Her little girl's name is Naomi. She and Avery are around the same age and have many of the same difficulties. Sorry for the mix up. I usually only mix up my daughter's names. i don't even know why. i have never once called my son's by their brother's names but when it comes to Courtney and Heidi for some reason I just can't keep it straight.

Lisa said...

This is HUGE!!!! Hooray!

Tony F said...

Wonderful progress.

It must be a special experience for her as I'm sure none of us can remember any specific progress moments such as this. I'm sure she'll remember and be able to look back on her progress.

Natalie said...

wow.what fun! so glad to see pictures. It would be wonderful if you were close by or if we were close to you, but I am so pleased you have such good friends since we can't be around.

Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I assume polite post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Alex said...

Yay Avery! Way to go!

Katy said...

Hooray! I often feel that way about Charlie--like he knows he has legs, but hasn't figure out what he could do with them. Here's to progress!

Anonymous said...

God bless your beautiful baby and family!