Sunday, June 13, 2010

England Trip Final Week!

Monday

Sebastian, Jenna and Noah were still at my Mother's house, so we took the children into Wareham to feed the ducks at the river.
After all the nice weather we'd been enjoying, we had a gray, rainy day, so we dressed the children up in coats and sat in a little sheltered area by the river.

Then the seagulls showed up too, which was fun because they catch the bread out of midair :)

The car that Naeem had given Brogan was an amphibious one, so the boys decided to take the opportunity to test out its aquatic abilities :)

For some reason the ducks didn't seem too excited about eating the piece of bread off the top of the car...
Tuesday

Felicity took the day off work to spend it with us, and we (Me, Felicity, Gabe and Avery) went into Wareham again with the intention of getting fish and chips for lunch. But it was damp and gray again, so we decided to go to a pub for lunch instead. Felicity and Gabe played a game of pool, and then we decided to go somewhere else for lunch instead...


We went to Nellie Crumb! This is where I had my first ever job - waiting tables for 1.90 pounds an hour! For about a month and a half I think :D SOrry about the bad picture Gabe and Felice, but mine's pretty bad too:


Gabe and I had full english breakfasts for lunch, and they were scrumptious! Felicity had macaroni cheese, and Avery had a cheese sandwich. Gabe and Felicity also got a can of coke each, which, we found out when we got the bill, cost a hefty 2.75 pounds each!! CRAZY!

In the afternoon, Avery spent some time with Grandma, and Felicity, Gabe and I took Brogan to Poole Park. He loved it because there were birds....lots and lots of birds!

Gabe liked chasing the birds too :)




After the birds, he also enjoyed playing in the play area for a little while too :)

Wednesday
Brogan came down with some stomach virus on Tuesday night, and had a day at home with Gabe and I on Wednesday. He was pretty sad, and needed lots of love and attention all day, poor thing. He still tried to play a little bit though - he'd be lying on one of us, and then without moving his body would every now and then just start tickling our tummies and saying "tikkatikkatikka" It was very cute and pathetic! Avery went into Poole with Grandma where she spent some time with Great Grandma and Grandad, visited Grandma's Aunty Barbara, and then got treated to lunch at Pizza Hut! So she had a lovely day!

Thursday
Thursday was Sebastian's birthday, and although Brogan was feeling a lot better, we thought it would be best if he stayed home again, so Gabe, my Mother and Avery went up to spend the day with Sebastian and his family.
An olive tree.

Avery loves the bunny :)

Upside down Noah!


Jenna's sister and her husband went over for dinner in the evening, and I was home by myself until 11:30pm!! They had a fun day :) I got a lot of packing done, which was good because we had a busy last day ahead of us...
Friday


On our last full day, I met up with my old school friend Gemma and her children! We were going to get together at the park by my mother's house, but it was sort of wet and gray, so she just came over to the house and we caught up a little bit on the last 10 years :) Her children are adorable, and they're both about the same ages as Avery and Brogan!
My Grandma and Grandad came over for lunch, and after that Gabe and I took the children to visit Nana - my great grandma!


Last time I saw Nana was at Sebastian's wedding 4 years ago, and my father and Granny were both there too, so we were able to get a picture of Avery with her mother, grandfather, great-grandmother and great- great-grandmother!

The closest we came to getting Brogan to stand still for a photo :)

After Gabe's hike the previous week, he had insisted that he had to get down to the shore again before we left, so we took a detour on the way home from Dorchester and found our way to Kimmeridge! Getting there was a fun little adventure in itself, using a map to navigate through all the tiny little back roads :) I'm glad I got to do some driving this time around, and it was really my first time driving in my home country since I didn't get a driver's license until after Gabe and I got married!
I thought Kimmeridge would be a fun beach for Gabe to see, since it isn't like the other beaches he had seen since we'd been in the country. Before he'd even seen what I wanted him to see, he loved the beach because pretty much all the rocks seemed to be perfect skimming rocks, so he was very happy :)
The children loved the rocks too! Avery liked watching Gabe skimming, and liked seeing how far she could throw the rocks into the water.
Brogan liked sitting as close as possible to the water and dropping the rocks in.





I didn't really want to walk all the way across the rocky beach to the big flat rocks, so I sat and threw rocks with the children while Gabe ran all the way over to the other side. Can you see me and the children in this picture?? We actually had a lot of fun just sitting there - the tide was coming in and we saw lots of little rock shrimp things trying to jump away from the water. And of course the children loved throwing rocks and were happy to sit there the whole time Daddy was gone!

This was why I though Gabe would enjoy seeing Kimmeridge Bay. It has the big shale cliffs, and then this big, flat, wave-cut platform. There are lots of rock pools and fossils too.


The cow wouldn't eat the grass Gabe offered it....

When we got back to Grandma's house, quite a few of my family members were there to spend one last evening with us before we headed back to Virginia!
Saturday
Well, Saturday was..... a very,very long day! Sebastian came and picked us up to take us to the airport(s), which meant that he had to leave his house at about 4am I think! And then he noticed he had a bald tire, so that had to be changed before we could leave, so we were cutting it close! Gabe and Brogan (thankfully Gabe had managed to get Brogan switched over to his flight, which meant that we were both flying with one child -I don't think I could have survived the day if I'd had both of them!!) had to be at Gatwick by about 8am, and Avery and I then had to get to Heathrow for our 10:05am flight, so we were cutting it close! In fact, we got to the check-in desk at 9:06am, and they had just closed the flight!! But we got through of course. Then when we went through security they swabbed Avery's walker and apparently found traces of explosives on it (!!!!), which slowed us down even more! They swabbed it again and of course it came back clean, but it meant that by the time we got through security, we had about 30 minutes before our plane was supposed to take off, so I had to pick up Avery and her walker and practically run all the way to what must have been the furthest gate!! It was exhausting! But we made it :) Once we were on the plane, however, there was some problem with the pilots window (the warm air that blows on it wasn't working...something like that), and that was enough to make us too late for our connecting flight at JFK. Anyway.....I don't really want to go into all the things that went wrong that day, suffice to say that by the time we got home at 2:30am we'd been travelling for 26.5 hours. But on the positive side, both the children behaved very well, all things considered!!
Brogan on the plane. There was a family with a little girl about his age sitting right next to them, so that apparently helped to keep him entertained during the long flight!

When Avery and I finally got into Ronald Reagan airport (although we were supposed to fly into Dulles...long story), she had fallen asleep on the connecting flight. She was so exhausted that she
stayed asleep as I picked her up, carried her off the plane, put her in the wheelchair, she got pushed all through the airport including elevators, etc, we collected our luggage, and then I picked her up out of the wheelchair and put her in this chair! It was a long day....!

What an excellent trip it was though! Of course, there were still lots of people I didn't get to see, and the time just went by far too quickly, but it was fun- and family-filled and we all came away with some wonderful memories :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

More great photos to finish of your adventures to the UK. Love the photo of Gabe trying to feed the cow!

Evey F said...

Thanks again Josephine for the lovely photos and memories. Come back soon!

Josephine said...

Yesterday I finally turned to the right month on the calendar you sent me for Christmas, and in doing so came across where you had written "We'll see you this month!" on June!! I don't know how I didn't notice that before! :)

Eveymartine said...

It was so lovely to see you and Gabe and the children but it went far too quickly.
Naeem and I would like to come and see you as soon as we can - it will definitely be after the new baby so that will be fun too :-)
Love you loads xxx