Monday, July 05, 2010

Appointments galore!

Thursday and Friday last week was a busy time for doctor's appointments in our house! On Thursday I had my second glucose test followed by my prenatal appointment and an ultrasound. I had to be at the hospital at 7am for the glucose test, and they did a finger prick and drew blood from my right arm before I got to drink the sugar drink, which was twice as sugary and disgusting as the last one. Yuck. Then they drew more blood every hour until 10:30am, so that was so much fun. Especially since I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything. Hooray...! But the good news is that I do not have gestational diabetes, so YAY!
Gabe had taken the children to the pool (well, Avery went to the pool and Brogan went to the daycare, which he loves, so they were both happy), and when I got home at 11am I called and they were just getting ready to leave, so we decided to meet for lunch because I was starving and too hungry to make my own food :) So we met at Bastian's BBQ, which we've never tried before, but children eat free from the lunch buffet on Thursdays, so we decided to give it a go :) And it was yummy. By the time we were done there it was time for me to go to my next appointment, so that worked out perfectly :) Gabe took the children home so that Brogan could have his nap. The ultrasound showed that everything with this baby boy is still looking good! He is measuring between a week and two weeks ahead of schedule, but both my other babies did too. I'd like to think that he'll still weigh in at less than 10lbs, but I suppose we'll see...! Avery was 8lbs 1oz at 37 weeks, and Brogan was 9lbs 4oz at 42 weeks. So we'll see. The baby's ventricle measurements were at the large end of the normal range, but still within normal range, so that's fine. And we saw hair! I don't remember seeing hair on any of Avery or Brogan's ultrasounds, so this baby might have more hair than they did!

Friday Avery saw the ophthalmologist at 8am and the physiatrist at 11am. She had her eyes dilated at the ophthalmologist, which of course she hated. The doctor said that those optic nerves are still quite pale, but that her vision is remarkably good considering the fact that she has septo-optic dysplasia. He was disappointed that we still haven't taken her to see an endocrinologist, so I really need to get on that. In fact, I called our PCP the other day to get a referral, but Gabe wanted to speak to a friend of his first who's seen one of the local endocrinologists to see if they had any recommendations.

Even with 3 hours between appointments, we were almost late for the physiatrist appointment! They were not having a good morning there, so Laura, who normally does Avery's measurements, wasn't able to be there which meant that the Dr was the one to do it, which was sort of entertaining to watch! I don't know how much I trust the measurements he got, and I think there's a reason Laura normally does it! But it was fine. We told him about the ABM therapy, and how much progress Avery has made since going, which was fine. He was excited about the new skills she had (climbing in and out of the bath independently, getting of the toilet, etc), and he was pleased to hear that we were having a pretty positive experience with the baclofen. However, right at the end we mentioned that Carla (the ABM therapist) had suggested we look into a specific orthotist and orthopedist in New York who she thought would be able to help Avery, and the second we said that Dr Brown turned into a crazy person. He started out saying that the surgery the doctor did was exactly the same as the surgery everyone has been doing for 20 years (which it's not, but to be fair, we probably aren't the best people to explain it at this point), and ended up with asking how Carla would like it if he started recommending other feldenkrais therapists (even though we tried to explain how it was different to regular feldenkrais, he didn't seem to get it), then started slamming feldenkrais itself saying that it wasn't designed for cerebral palsy patients, and then said that if we saw those NY doctors then he wouldn't have anything to do with us anymore. So that was super fun.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds very hectic!

Carla said...

How weird the dr. had such a reaction:( Especially since he was pleased with her progress. But its awesome that she's gaining skills & independance!

Eveymartine said...

Oh dear! That sounds like a rather emotional and upsetting response from Doctor Brown.

Marie G said...

Whatever is going to help Avery should and ought to be fine with other pros. Some people do have closed minds and can be rather unkind, pity.

Valerie B said...

I'm disappointed with Dr Brown's response since he's one of my favourites of Avery's medical team. Maybe he was having a bad day with Laura not being there. I'm sure you were able to calm him down and all will be well next time. Jenna and I were discussing Avery's new therapy while I was there this week and she said that, although it might be slow, the NHS does come around to new ways of thinking and 'out there' therapies after a while and once they have proved their worth.

Tony F said...

Such a shame to have to experience this. Everyone has their own opinions I guess.

And mine is 10lbs 11oz.

Josephine said...

10lbs 11oz?? Please don't curse me! Remember I'm trying for a vbac, so the baby can't be
too big or they won't even let me try!!!

Tony F said...

Experienced as I am in having attended all births of our children - you lost me on vbac!

Josephine said...

I'm trying to avoid another c-section :)

Eveymartine said...

I googled it... :-)

Tony F said...

Me too - and found out that Evey has had one of those - Zac.