Thursday, July 08, 2010

Bedtime Antics...

Last Monday Brogan switched from an 10:30am nap to a 12:30pm nap. Just like that! It was funny! But along with that quick transition, he also seemed to decide that he was too big to go to sleep at 7pm anymore. Not so great.
Brogan has never been the best sleeper. It's a good thing he wasn't my first baby otherwise we would still all be very sleep deprived! But the problem with his sleeping issues recently has been that when he wakes up at night, he wakes everyone else in the house up too by banging on his door, usually with something hard. It was making it very difficult to leave him for any amount of time because if I didn't go into his room the second he started banging on the door, Avery would wake up. So last week we decided to let Avery sleep downstairs in the guest room/laundry room for a while so that we could deal with Brogan's nighttime antics without disturbing her. She actually really likes sleeping down there, as long as Daddy sleeps on the couch next door (which is okay for him because our couch is really comfortable).
The first couple of nights, Brogan started screaming almost as soon as we left the room and closed the door. (We decided it was also time for our almost-2yr-old to stop going to bed with a bottle....I know I know, he's been too old for that forever, but we let him slip back into bad habits when we were in England because he was waking up everyone else in the house.) So on Thursday night Gabe suggested we try letting go to sleep with his door open, which I thought was a crazy idea, but we did it anyway, and he went straight to sleep! That was after trying to get him to sleep with the door closed for a while, but he really did go straight to sleep after Gabe left his door open! And although he did get up a couple of times that night, he never left his room, and he went straight back to bed after I gave him a bottle of 1/2 water, 1/2 gatorade. (We're working away from a bottle of milk to a sippy cup of water.) So I tried it again the next night but of course it didn't work. After finding him at the top of the stairs about 4 or 5 times, I put him back to bed again and closed the door, which he hated. He got out of bed and screamed and banged on the door, and after a few minutes he gave up and started playing with the sliding doors of his closet. Again, nice and loud, but Avery was sound asleep downstairs, and he wasn't screaming or angry anymore. At about 9pm, he'd been quiet for probably 20 minutes or so, so I went in to see where he'd fallen asleep. It was dark, so I couldn't see much, and I couldn't see him anywhere! I could hear him breathing, so I knew he was in there, but I couldn't see him in his bed, or anywhere on the floor! So I gave up and had to turn on the light, and then after a little bit more searching, I finally found him sleeping on the floor inside his closet, with the doors closed!!!

Looks comfortable, doesn't it???! Haha!

But he was sound asleep!! And I was able to transfer him from here to his bed without disturbing him too much!

Last night he did his now usual thing of crying/playing/shouting/playing/whining/playing between 7pm and about 8:30pm, and then he was quiet. So I went up there at about 8:45pm to see if he was in bed (a couple of times, he has made it back to bed before falling asleep), but as soon as I opened the door I had to call Gabe to come and see!

The theory is that he rocked himself to sleep like this!! We couldn't stop laughing :) So Gabe picked him up and put him into bed, and he slept pretty well for the rest of the night. He woke up once at about 2:45am, went back to sleep when we gave him a sippy cup of water/gatorade and slept until 7am. That's the best night he's had in a while, sad to say! But we're definitely moving in the right direction now...



10 comments:

Diana said...

That's pretty funny. I remember my little brother fell asleep on his tricycle in the street when he was about 3. His head was resting on his teddy bear. My mom still has that picture.

Sarah said...

Very cute!

Carla said...

Dear Brogan,
You are so funny & cute! Thank you for making me smile today. I needed it:)

Eveymartine said...

That's hilarious! He's so cute :-)

Marie G said...

Keep up the good work... what a challenge, but it will pass????

Valerie B said...

That is the wierdest little boy in the world! Really, Josephine, I'm so glad you had Avery first otherwise you might have thought you were the worst mother ever - both Brogan and Noah have been challenging when it comes to bed-time (although Noah's also improving now), we think they made some kind of wicked pact before they left for earth.

Paul B said...

How on earth is it possible for him to fall asleep in this position?

Janeen S said...

That is hilarious and I am so sorry

Gemma H said...

Brogans bedtime antics are hilarious, especially because I can relate it so much to us & Louis!! We have found him asleep in all sorts of places having left him to cry himself to sleep (doesn't always work as he makes himself sick if he really doesn't want to settle)
One night we put Lily & Louis to bed in their own seperate rooms & found them both sound asleep in our bed...Lily still won't admit to lifting him out of his cot & at the time Louis couldn't get himself out!!!
Brogan looks adorable in the photos!!!
Ps-we stll let Lou have a bottle, anything for a quiet night!!!!! Xx

Hannon! said...

Oh my... that is the funniest thing I have seen in a while!!!
Good luck with the night-time routine. I swear our next one is going to be just like that... Audrey goes down without a problem and sleeps so well.