Monday, January 24, 2011

My Grandad

Brogan and Avery with their Great Grandad Giles, May 2010.

This past Sunday, January 23rd, my Grandad died.

He was wonderful man who made my childhood magical with his jet black hair (!), funny songs, stories about pet pterodactyls, and his willingness to let us comb his hair over his eyes and put his glasses back on.

No one could ever have felt more loved than he always made me feel.

Truly the loveliest Grandad anyone could hope for.


I am grateful to know that his death was peaceful, that he was ready, and that the majority of his family was able to get there to say goodbye before he died. I am sad that I was not able to be there. I am surprised by the intensity of my sadness, since I knew that this day was coming, and I thought I was prepared for it. I have lived a long way from my family for over 8 years now, but even so, I miss him now that I know he's not there anymore. That he won't be there the next time I go home. I feel a long way away from home, and a long way away from my family.
I am comforted to know that he is no longer burdened by his weakened mortal body, that he is now pain free and clear-minded. It comforts me to think that he can now watch over me and see my children grow. I am grateful that two of my children were able to meet him, and I hope that they will be able to remember him, at least a little bit. I wish that they could have known him the way I knew him. Although I will never again see him during this life, I do look forward to seeing him again after I leave this earth.
I love you Grandad.
I will see you again.
(We mustn't get excited...)

5 comments:

Talitha said...

What lovely pictures and video of Avery and Brogan with Granddad:) Thanks for sharing, and I completely agree with everything you said!

Lisa said...

My sincerest sympathy to you and your family.

SuzanSayz said...

Having just lost my mom I know how you feel, Josephine.
Sending you tons of love and good thoughts.

David said...

:(

Kristen said...

Your grand-dad sounds like he was a sweet man. My heart feels so sad for your loss.