Sunday, May 15, 2011

Claytor Lake, Day 3

 

 

2011-05-07 003

I had another early start after Oliver woke up too hot and sweaty inside my sleeping bag (better than freezing though, eh?), so by about 5:45am he was entertaining himself with a couple of toothbrushes while I got the fire started and ready for breakfast!

2011-05-07 005 2011-05-07 010

Enjoying a breakfast of scrambled eggs and pancakes, Brogan with his excited face, and Avery with her grumpy face Smile

2011-05-07 011

Then it was time to head back down to the lake to try one more time to catch a fish for dinner Smile Both the children had been excited about the prospect of eating a daddy-caught fish, and we didn’t want to let them down! Brogan helped Daddy drive…Smile

Avery and Brogan ate chips and watched Curious George, and Oliver slept while Gabe went after the very same fish who had evaded him and cost him his keys 2 days before. He tried lots of different lures and techniques, and the fish kept on nibbling and spitting it out, but, finally…

2011-05-07 019

2011-05-07 023

A 15 inch largemouth bass! Not bad for a first real fish, I’d say! And it certainly meant that we all left that campground on a high! It was very exciting, and we were all very excited to see how it tasted Smile

2011-05-07 025

I was pretty proud of myself for being able to fillet the fish. When I was a teenager, I couldn’t even touch store-bought raw meat of any kind, and thought that when I got married, my family would have to become vegetarian! But now I know that I am able to prepare a freshly caught fish, I feel quite capable Smile I certainly didn’t enjoy it though…and it wasn’t as easy as the video on youtube made it look… But I did it, and put it in a ziploc bag and put that bag into another bag of ice, and then we packed up camp!

2011-05-07 027

Avery and Brogan “cleaned” the styrofoam airplane Smile During the trip, Avery had made several churches in the gravel, making a pile and putting a stick in the top so that we could all go and learn!

Before heading home, we took Avery for a riding lesson at Easy Wind Stables. (We love groupon!)

2011-05-07 028

If you have followed my blog for a while, then you know that Avery has done several seasons of hippotherapy, and LOVED it. She is currently out of hippotherapy since she no longer receives PT locally. Even though she has had experience on a horse, I was still pretty nervous about letting her go out there. Her horse, Red, was a big horse, and she didn’t have any spotters, so I was nervous, but she did really great! She was comfortable and confident up there, even after I told her over and over to hold on tight! As soon as they were in the ring, Avery started talking to Leah (the instructor), telling her about stuff, asking her questions, responding to her questions, and I don’t think she stopped talking the entire hour! It was pretty cute Smile

2011-05-07 001

Brogan and Oliver enjoyed some down time on the blanket, and Brogan only begged to get on the horse a couple of times…!

2011-05-07 035

By the end of the lesson, Avery had both hands off the saddle on the reigns, and she was looking like an old pro!

Riding Lesson

2011-05-07 038

2011-05-07 039

When we eventually got home, I looked up some ideas on how to prepare the bass, and this is how it turned out.

2011-05-07 040

Gabe trying the first bite Smile with tongue out

2011-05-07 041

It was scrumptious! Both Avery and Brogan finished every last bite on their plates and loved it. All in all, it was a very successful and enjoyable trip, and the fish was the icing on the cake Smile

1 comment:

Angela said...

Oh my gosh the kiddos are getting big.

Look at Avery riding that horse like a pro...maybe she can teach me, I am terrified to ride one lol