Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Downtown Aquarium

Here's a selection of photos from our adventures at the Downtown Aquarium in Houston yesterday :) (In chronological order!) We had a blast!




Other news for Monday - It was day 3 post-op, so Avery's bandaging came off, which was a little torturous, but I am glad it's done! Also, day 3 was the day she was definitely supposed to be getting up and trying out her legs. Unfortunately, she has become a little afraid of being up on her feet The first 2 days she was super excited to be getting up and trying to walk, because that was what her surgery was for! But every time she tried in those first couple of days, it ended in tears because of the pain, so now she doesn't want to do it anymore. I thought maybe the aquarium would help motivate her. She did stand for about a minute to look at this huge cylindrical tank:
She was nervous, but she stayed like that for about a minute, and it didn't hurt, she said it just ached a bit. So that was a positive experience. She also took a couple of steps from her wheelchair to a bench at one point. I didn't get any pictures of that because both my hands were occupied with helping her, but again, that was a positive experience because it didn't hurt a lot. So I count those two things as progress, and maybe today she will feel braver.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks all wide eyed and dazed but she's doing so very well. I'm sure most grown-ups would still be in bed feeling sorry for themselves. I LOVE the video, oh I love this little girl.
Overseas Grandma

Michelle said...

I just can't wait to see what the next few months will bring. And I LOVE aquariums so what fun to distract her!