Friday, August 26, 2011

SPML Recovery, Day 1

A little over an hour after Avery went to the OR, I was told that she was in recovery and that all had gone smoothly. Dr Yngve came out and told me all about how well it had gone - that her body had responded beautifully to it, and that it was like her body was made for this procedure :) I had to wait a while longer though before I was allowed to go back and see her. By the time I did get back there, she was starting to wake up, and I only have one picture from that time because she was so uncomfortable and so unhappy :(
This was towards the end of her time in recovery when she was beginning to breathe normally at least! She woke up feeling sore and unhappy, and she kept on trying to tell us to take off her braces and casts because they were too tight or hurt, but it took a long time for us to even be able to understand what she was saying because she trying to speak in between hyperventilating! Poor girl.
Once she was able to calm down enough, she wanted to open her present, which was this little baby doll. She was just so sweet. Even though she was still hurting and still wanting to get her casts off (she said they were too tight), she took care of this little baby - feeding her some milk, burping her, giving her a pacifier and wrapping her up in a blanket. Too sweet.

She started begging to "go home", so they let us get ready to leave. Although, I was a little nervous about driving an hour with her the way she had been...! But we helped her get into her wheelchair without too much discomfort, and she continued too look after her baby, although she herself was still so droopy and sleepy!

Feeling a lot happier.

A picture with the team of nurses/technicians/anesthesiologist, etc. They were great, and they loved Avery :)




A little nap on the drive home. It wasn't bad - she seemed to be pretty comfortable, and started acting more like her normal, sunny self :) At one point while we were driving she said, "Isn't it great that I can walk now?" So I had to remind her that it would still take lots of practice, but it was really great because it would be a lot easier for her to learn.

She ate lunch with no issues while I went to pick up her prescriptions (acetaminophen with codeine, and valium for muscle spasms). She didn't mind me leaving, but before I left she asked me if I would say a prayer for her to ask Heavenly Father to help her legs feel better, and that the casts wouldn't hurt her legs. So sweet. Also, while I was gone, she asked Colleen if she could try walking! So she helped her stand up and she tried one shaky little step :)

Playing with new toys on the couch :)

Showing off her hot pink casts, and a little something she couldn't do before surgery! 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

OH just look at her legs in a beautiful "V"! And I think the hot pink casts are just gorgeous! So glad to see her smiling already.

Sarah said...

Such a trooper!