Friday, September 02, 2011

Recovery, Day 6

Avery and I got home from Texas late last night! We had a wonderful trip, and it is wonderful to be home with my boys, and my Gabe :)!! How can two little boys change so much in 8 days?? I have some more pictures and videos to post from the fun part of our trip, but I just wanted to write a quick update about Avery's progress. She is still feeling a fair amount of pain whenever she tries to use her legs, but is pretty comfortable when she's relaxing. I almost wish that I hadn't allowed her to get up onto her feet those first couple of days, because it hurt her a lot, and I think that has made her fearful now. She was so excited to get up and try out her legs, but now it takes a lot of coaxing and encouragement to get her to try to stand up. A big thing I was looking forward to about coming home was that we would have access to her walker again, which I knew would make it easier for her to get herself upright. So today, after lunch and a dose of pain medication, I let her choose a show to watch and helped her stand up in her walker to watch it. 
She did a really good job!! I think that she really relied on her arms to take a lot of her weight off her feet, but it was a good, positive experience, and I think it helped her realise that it's not going to hurt forever. You can really see the tension and fear of pain in the way she tensed up all the way down into her toes:

 I hope that you noticed that big, beautiful, wide open space between her knees when she was stepping in the video??!! Amazing!!! We are still very excited about the possibilities with this surgery. That includes Avery... Brogan asked her why she couldn't walk like him tonight, and she told him that she will be able to soon. She is excited, and is being (mostly) very brave and pushing herself to work through some of the fear and discomfort. We are excited to get started with therapy next week, and we are all very excited for the pain to go away so that Avery can really start to enjoy the benefits of her surgery!!!

6 comments:

Maria said...

This is so awesome! I am so excited for Avery! She is doing great and is truly an angel!

Sarah said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

That space between her knees is truly miraculous - a complete and utter impossibility pre-surgery. I am so excited and thrilled for her. The mere fact that her toes can curl with the tension is also amazing. How sweet that Brogan, in his 3 year old world, understands the significance of everything that's happened. Don't you love hearing the conversations between your children as they get older? It's one of the loveliest things about being a parent.
You're doing a wonderful job, Gabe and Josephine, you must be exhausted but the progress which is being made is too thrilling for words.
Overseas Grandma

Lisa said...

Woohoo! Looking good!

Syme Family News said...

She is doing so great. I can't believe the strength that one person has at her age. Tell her I love the nail polish.
Janeen

Gary said...

Wow! Avery, that's fantastic! It sure is good to see you up and getting around so much better. It looks like you are really pushing yourself to achieve your goals. You will be rewarded for it.
Gabe and Josephine, Kudos for what you are doing. You guys are terrific. And I admire both of you for your strength and sacrifice. You are blessed and will continue to be blessed with the love of your family and friends. From Gary Webber