Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Cat in the Hat

(Yes, I know this is late, but I had to do it anyway, because I was so proud of my handiwork!!)

IMG_4566

Months and months before halloween, Avery, Brogan and I had discussed their costumes and had decided on a Cat in the Hat theme! I had a lot of fun figuring out how to turn Gabe and the children into the Cat, Thing 1, Thing 2, and Fish. I was really pleased with how they turned out, I just wish I’d been able to get a couple of better pictures!! (These were taken at the Trunk n Treat at church.)

IMG_4564

Excited to go trick or treating!! (I didn’t get any good pictures of Oliver as Fish… isn’t that sad??!)

IMG_4567 IMG_4568

Thing 1 and Thing 2!!

I made the costumes out of red fleece, with a zipper in the back, and padding in the neck. I got red mittens from the dollar store, which I was going to attach to the sleeves with red ribbon, but ran out of time! The wording I made by printing onto iron-on transfers, which I ironed onto white felt, and then ironed onto the fleece. The wigs were the most time-consuming part, but I love them! I used 1/2” elastic and grosgrain ribbon to make a base, and then tied on strips of blue tulle until they were nice and fluffy Smile

IMG_4578 

 

 

My 6’4” husband wore a 20” tall hat, and then added to his height even more by roller blading around the parking lot! I may have made his tail a little too long, since it still dragged on the ground even when he was in roller blades…! Oh well. I think he looked just like the Cat in the Hat, although I should have taken a moment to plan out his make up before I did it…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4579

The trunk of our van, when I sat and handed out candy. Notice the ghost hanging on the right – Avery and Brogan and I made that one out of paper mache and rags. It had a face too, but it must have turned around just before I took this picture.

Before the trick or treating, there were activities and games inside. One of the activities was wheelchair racing…. :)

No comments: