Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Secretly Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don’t talk about it very often, but part of living with Avery’s particular type of cerebral palsy is learning how to cope with chronic constipation. Ever since Avery started eating food, I have been tweaking and modifying and creating recipes in an effort to keep Avery regular. I have several recipes now which my whole family enjoys, and while diet alone isn’t enough to control Avery’s constipation, these foods do help! And the rest of us are right as rain in the digestive department!! For a while now, I have been meaning to post some of these recipes, because they are quite tasty, and they are fiber-rich!!

So here’s one we all like. I have finally perfected this recipe, I think! When I made this batch the other day, my husband came home and grabbed one off the plate, and he was actually surprised when I told him they were full of fiber!! So that’s a good sign, right?!

IMG_5792

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup whole wheat flour

1/3 cup milled golden flaxseed

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup oats

1 cup chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F. Beat melted butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in peanut butter. Add flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until just blended. Fold in oats, and then chocolate chips. Use spoon to scoop onto cookie sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes, until the edges start to turn golden brown.

IMG_5769 IMG_5770 IMG_5775

Yum!!!

All three of my children love these cookies!IMG_5787

A couple of suggestions: I find that golden flaxseed really is a lot better than the non-golden variety. You barely even notice it’s there! Also, this cookie dough freezes really well, so I would suggest only baking as many as you think you might eat in 24 hours or so. The rest can be placed in scoops on a cookie sheet, frozen, and then kept in a ziploc bag in the freezer until ready to use. 

No comments: