Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wholesome Pizza Crust

Here’s another recipe I use on a regular basis. My children love pizza, and why should they have to go without just because Avery has CP? (Cerebral Palsy = Constipation Problems!!) So here is an easy and wholesome pizza crust recipe I came up with so that they can enjoy pizza, and I can feel good about giving it to them!
I use a bread machine to make this dough, because it makes my life so much easier!! (Thank you to the dear friends who gave us our beloved bread machine 6 years ago!!) Of course, you can make the dough without a bread machine too…!

Wholesome Pizza Dough
2.25 tsp quick rise yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp honey
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp milled golden flaxseed
1 tsp dried chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
Wholegrain Cornmeal

Directions
Pour warm water into the bowl of your bread machine. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the oil and honey (I do it in that order because the oily tablespoon helps the honey slide right out!). Add remaining ingredients, and start the dough cycle. (Sometimes I add another tablespoon or two of water if my bread Prepare 2 pizza stones/baking pans by sprinkling generously with cornmeal.

IMG_6026 IMG_6034 IMG_6042 
My dough cycle runs for 1hr 20mins, but for my pizza dough I usually pull the dough out about halfway through the rising time. I took it out with 43 minutes remaining this particular day.

IMG_6045
Empty dough out onto one of your prepared pans, and roll it in the cornmeal. Cut the dough into two pieces.

IMG_6047
Roll dough out on pans (I use one pizza stone and one cookie sheet because that’s what I have! Both turn out great, although one is a little less crispy, and a little less circular, than the other…), making sure that there’s enough cornmeal to keep it from sticking to the pan.

IMG_6048 IMG_6077
This particular day, I didn’t have a lot of exciting topping options in my cupboards, and I didn’t feel like making my own pizza sauce, so both pizzas were topped with Prego, cheddar cheese, and the only MSG-free sausages I’ve been able to find!! But of course, the toppings options are completely up to you!
Again, my children gobble this up without any idea that they’re eating something relatively healthy. Happy days. hehe!

IMG_6084 IMG_6085 IMG_6087
IMG_6088 IMG_6093 IMG_6099
They like this pizza crust so much that they usually ask for more, and they usually eat every last bite, even the crust!

If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think :)

No comments: